Can a Birth Injury Lawsuit Help You Recover Damages? December 12, 2017.
Unfortunately, birth injuries occur every day in the U.S., and Ohio is no exception. Families who are overjoyed to give birth to a child soon have a harsh reality to face when they realize that their new baby has been injured.
Often, these injuries have lifelong consequences and require parents to stop working to care for their child or potentially place their child in assisted living. While many doctors and nurses are quick to chalk up birth injuries as simple accidents, the truth is that many of them can be prevented with adequate and reasonable medical care.
If you believe that your child has been injured due to the negligence or carelessness of doctors, nurses, or the hospital where your child was born, you may be able to pursue compensation for the damages you’ve suffered.
What Kind of Damages Can Be Collected from a Birth Injury Lawsuit?
Damages that can be sought in a birth injury lawsuit include any and all damages your child and your family has suffered as a result of a preventable birth injury caused by physician negligence.
This includes but is not limited to:
- Any and all medical expenses directly related to the injury
- Lost wages from work for one or both parents who were unable to work while caring for their injured child
- Future medical expenses that are expected to be incurred as a result of the injury, e.g. if your child requires lifelong, full time care for their condition
- Costs for adaptive aids, devices, therapies and programs that will improve the quality of your child’s life.
- Emotional pain and suffering, as well as loss of consortium
- Travel expenses related to any time you had to leave your immediate area for specialized medical care for your child
- Funeral expenses if your child passed away as a result of birth trauma
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
The damages associated with a birth injury lawsuit tend to be both economical and non-economical in nature, and punitive damages are often awarded in cases where clear medical neglect or wanton disregard for the safety of mother and child during delivery caused an injury or death.
When to Reach Out to an Attorney
It’s impossible to know whether you have a viable birth injury lawsuit or not and how much you could potentially be compensated for without discussing your case in depth with an attorney and bringing forward evidence to support your claim.
If you suspect that your child may be suffering from a birth injury due to the negligence of hospital staff or doctors during labor and delivery, don’t wait to contact an experienced and skilled lawyer. At the Mellino Law Firm, we have specific experience working with families whose children have been injured at birth and can provide you with aggressive, zealous representation to protect your rights and the rights of your child. Contact the Mellino Law Firm at (440) 333-3800 to schedule your no-cost, no-obligation consultation today.