Medical Malpractice in Ohio: Statistics You Should Know February 22, 2012.
Medical malpractice can happen to anyone, and statistics prove it. Based on the Institute of Medicine, 90,000 deaths are caused by medical errors each year. If you or a loved has been a victim of medical malpractice you are not alone. Contact an experienced attorney today that will fight for your rights and hold the negligent doctor or healthcare professional responsible for their actions.
Medical Malpractice Statistics
Take note of the following statistics before you become the victim of medical malpractice:
- of the medical malpractice lawsuits filed 15 percent were because of major physical injury and 26 percent were because of death;
- between 2004 and 2006, 238,337 deaths were caused by preventable medical errors;
- 70 percent of patients who experience medical errors are not alerted by their physician;
- 50 percent of the nation’s doctors fail to report incompetent colleagues;
- medical errors are the fifth leading cause of death in America;
- two-thirds of doctors who are involved in 10 or more malpractice cases are never punished; and
- 49 percent of hospitals have never filed a single disciplinary action against one of their doctors.
Medical malpractice occurs more frequently than you may know and if you have become the victim, you have the right to pursue legal action.