Ohio Attorney Summarizes Pediatric Medical Malpractice Statistics May 10, 2012.

A recent study conducted in Cincinnati and Houston showed a high incidence of mistakes among pediatricians. While not all errors lead to serious consequences, some can lead to genuine physical harm and qualify as pediatric medical malpractice. If your child has been harmed in the Cleveland area, you may benefit by speaking with a malpractice attorney.

A research team interviewed around 700 pediatricians and pediatric trainees and found that over half had misdiagnosed a patient 1 to 2 times per month. The pediatric students showed even higher numbers, with 77% reporting misdiagnoses. The interviewees reported that about once or twice per year, they made an error that was serious enough to cause the patient harm.

The most common misdiagnoses involved difficulty telling the difference between viral and bacterial infections. Other errors, such as prescription error, misinterpretation of lab results, and failure to follow up with parents are also fairly common.

These malpractice statistics would be unsettling to any parent. It’s terrifying to think about the possibility that your child’s doctor will make a mistake. You entrust your pediatrician with your child’s health and well-being, trusting that they won’t do harm. While most pediatricians are skilled, caring healthcare providers, even good doctors can get distracted and make mistakes. When the patient is a child, the results of an error can be life-changing or even deadly.

You may be entitled to damages that can help with medical bills, your child’s daily care, and other needs if he or she has fallen victim to pediatric medical malpractice. With an attorney’s help, you can hold negligent parties accountable and maximize the value of your damages.

Contacting an Ohio Pediatric Malpractice Attorney

Have you or a loved one been injured because of a mistake made by a doctor, nurse, or hospital? If so, you may be entitled to compensation for medical malpractice. Call (440) 333-3800 today and speak with a lawyer who understands what you’ve been through.