Ohio Medical Malpractice: 7 Forms of Medical Negligence in Hospitals March 24, 2012.
Hospitals are often held legally responsible in Ohio medical malpractice cases when negligence injures a patient.
In order to file a claim, you must be able to show that some form of medical negligence took place. Negligence is simply the legal term that refers to any behavior that a medical professional performs that contradicted an acceptable standard of care for the patient.
In other words, you must show that the hospital contributed to your injuries due to a mistake, accident, or miscommunication.
There are several situations in which a hospital may be found negligent, including:
- emergency room errors;
- labor and delivery mistakes;
- failure to diagnose an illness or infection;
- surgical mistakes and wrong-site surgeries;
- hospital-acquired infections (HAIs); and
- improper or insufficient monitoring of treatment.