When Plastic Surgery Results in Medical Malpractice January 17, 2017.
A plastic surgeon’s mistake can affect your appearance and your overall health. Malpractice claims often cite:
- improper dosage of anesthesia, which led to irregular heart rhythms, nerve damage, and/or airway obstruction;
- an infection that caused illness and scarring; and
- improper training or surgical technique that resulted in excessive blood loss, permanent numbness, or disfigurement.
What Should I Do If My Plastic Surgeon Made a Mistake?
- Ask him or her what happened. Don’t be intimidated. You’re entitled to ask questions about your medical treatment and well-being.
- Gather information. Immediately request copies of your medical records and any other information such as eyewitness accounts that may be important later. You should also take photos of any visible evidence of your injuries.
- See another doctor. If a surgical error caused an infection or other serious injury, you need to have outstanding medical needs addressed to protect your health and wellness.
- Get legal help. An attorney who specializes in plastic surgery cases can review the details of your case to see if you have grounds to file a claim. If your case is viable, he or she can help you deal with doctors and insurance companies while you recover.
If you have a question about a potential claim against a plastic surgeon, attorney Chris Mellino welcomes you to contact our Cleveland office. You may also download or request Chris’ free, easy-to-read guide to filing a malpractice claim in Ohio.